Monday, July 25, 2011

A Message to Parents

Growing up in a world where being light would have been alright, was not easy since I wasn't light! I noticed some differences in the way I was treated as oppossed to my lighter-skinned sister. I vowed when I was younger never to show any differernces toward my children in case their shades were totally different, like ours are.

Well, I ended up marrying someone outside my race, and have biracial children. I still make it a point to show the same love toward my children even though they are very different. My suggestion to anyone in a situation where one child is darker than another, especially if they are girls like in my situation, is too never make a reference about skin tone in a negative way. Always point out the beauty in all shades of color and always let them know that African American is African American, from the darkest to the lightest. Take time to spend with each child (which should be done anyway, whether they look different or not), and always create special moments with each of them separately and together.

No comments:

Post a Comment