Monday, August 1, 2011

Oh, What a Difference a Few Shades Makes?

Happy Monday, readers! Do any of your friends ever give the impression that they are better if their skin is lighter? I grew up with several girls that I definitely wouldn't call friends, but simply associates. These associates thought their stuff didn't stink because they had lighter skin. Even though a few of them had features that were, in my opinion, not very becoming, they still thought they were the cat's meow. Even worse, they tried to make me feel like I was less-than because of my darker skin, and often spoke ill of other dark-skinned girls when I was around.
Do you continue to associate with the likes of people like this even though they dis' us chocolate sistas, because you feel better being around them? Is so, share your story! Let me know how you have experienced this kind of hatered within the black community.

1 comment:

  1. I realized how subtle racism was when I first heard Jane Elliott speak on Oprah, I guess. It took me 22 years to realize I was being fed up racism to hate myself and the other black people.

    ReplyDelete